Saturday, February 5, 2011

January Favorites


MAC Pro Longwear Foundation in NC25
One of the main reasons why I became so interested in beauty blogging was because of my extremely oily skin.  Within an hour of washing my face, my face is already an oil slick!  I have tried many different foundations, powders, and even some home remedies, but with no success.  Lo and behold, I have finally found the perfect liquid foundation to control my oiliness: Mac Pro Longwear Foundation SPF 10 ($29.50).

The MAC website describes this foundation as follows:
A foundation that gives up to 15 hours of wear in any environmental condition. Lightweight and creamy, applies smoothly to provide sheer to medium coverage. Even in hot and humid conditions, controls oil to keep skin fresh, natural and flawless. Provides everyday SPF protection

I will definitely vouch for the 15 hours of wear!  When wearing this foundation, I no longer have to blot or powder multiple times a day...maybe just once or twice.  However, I haven't used this foundation in warmer conditions (it's still freezing here in Chicago) so that will be a true test of the longevity of this product.

The only downside of this foundation is that it dries very quickly, so I suggest working in small sections.  So far I have only used makeup sponges for application, but I will be experimenting with some brushes as well.

____________________________________________________


MAC Blot Powder in Medium
...a very good friend from my past =].  MAC Blot Powder ($23) was one of my first upper-end makeup purchases when I was a pre-teen!  I've gone through so many compacts of this, it's almost ridiculous.  For some time, I tried using other drugstore and department store pressed powders, but this one definitely trumps all competitors for my oily skin.  The powder is finely milled and applies very smoothly.

I don't like to use foundation on an everyday basis; so after applying my moisturizer, I'll dust on some of this with my EcoTools Kabuki Brush.  If I do use my Mac Pro Longwear Foundation, I'll set with this Blot Powder...it's the perfect combination!

My only complaint is the packaging.  Because the powder is so finely milled, it shatters EXTREMELY easily.  I would love it even more if MAC packaged this powder in a more sturdy and durable container.

I currently use the Medium shade, but I might be adventurous and try Medium Dark during the summertime.  I've seen some YouTube ladies with similar complexions to mine, and they all use Medium Dark, not Medium.

I think it's safe to say that I don't plan on experimenting with any other pressed powders again.  Not only do I have extremely oily skin, but my skin is also very sensitive as well...this powder has never caused me any breakouts!

____________________________________________________


Korres Lip Butter in Quince
I'm not one to splurge on something as basic as a lip balm, but I may reconsider with the Korres Lip Butters ($10 each, available at Sephora).  Thankfully, I had a $50.00 beauty.com gift certificate that I only paid $5.00 for through RueLaLa, so I decided to try out some new products!


These lip balms are very, very moisturizing and are available in a variety of beautiful, pigmented shades.  The color doesn't last long on your lips, but the moisture does!  The consistency is extremely smooth, but not too gooey; I'm not too crazy about lip balms in pot form because I HATE getting it under my nails, but so far I haven't had any issues. 


Apparently you can also use this product on your cheeks, but I'm a bit scared that it might break me out!  However, Korres uses all natural, environment-friendly ingredients, so I might try to use it as a blush in the near future.

I previously used C.O. Bigelow's Lip Gloss Tubes, but I found that after some hours of wear, it would leave this gross, white film on the inner rims of my lips!  I would constantly have to reapply during the day, and after using the same tube for some time I noticed that the formula of the lip gloss changed...yuck!  I have not had this problem with the Korres Lip Butter, so I am a happy camper =]


Would I repurchase this with the $10 price tag?  If I was down to the bottom of the pot, I just might...I'm interested in trying the Pomegranate shade.  I alternate between this and my mini tub of Vaseline, so I'm hoping this pot will last me a long time.


____________________________________________________


Urban Decay Naked Palette
Lucky for me, I was able to get my hands on one of these babies before they replaced the double-ended 24/7 Glide-On Liner with an eyeshadow brush!  I was a little bit unsure if I was willing to spend $44 on an eyeshadow palette, but my Kuya Tim (& Sjae =]) bought me one for my Secret Santa Christmas present!  I literally screamed when I opened it!


The outside packaging is very long, sleek, and compact considering the number of FULL-SIZE eyeshadows it holds.  Definitely worth every single penny if you're considering to buy it.


The palette snaps shut with a magnetic closure, and includes a mirror (haven't used it, but it's large and convenient); a double-ended 24/7 Glide-On Eye Liner; and of course, 12 gorgeous, pigmented shades that can be combined to execute any daytime or nighttime look.  This has become my go-to palette for traveling because of its versatility.

Since receiving this in the beginning of January, I honestly haven't used any other single eyeshadows or eyeshadow palettes...I haven't felt the urge to purchase any other eyeshadow products either!  There is a variety of matte and shimmer shades, and the only shade that I've experienced some fallout is the heavily glittered Sidecar...but other than that, this eyeshadow palette is truly a gem.  The double-ended 24/7 Glide-On Eye Liner only makes this even more of a smart beauty buy!

____________________________________________________


Forever 21 Makeup Travel Case
My last January Favorite is somewhat of a random item, but it definitely fits me and my personality.  My room is a bit messy...but I swear, I am really big on organization!  I stumbled on this cute makeup travel case ($7.80) during a recent trip to Forever 21.

So far, the quality of the case is very good considering the price.  I was a bit turned off by the off-white color, but the outside is made of a vinyl material that can be easily cleaned with a damp cloth or sponge.  There were a couple other designs available, but I was attracted to the color pattern of this one =]

The inside contains a zipped pocket and two removable zipped pouches.  Although it's not large enough to fit my Urban Decay Naked Palette =[ it does fit (from top to bottom compartment) my tweezers, DUO eyelash glue, NYX Nude on Nude Palette (a dupe for the UD Naked Palette lol), two concealers, two blushes, two mascaras, gel liner, eyebrow gel, makeup brushes, UDPP, a pair of scissors, an eyelash curler, an eyebrow palette, and my Smashbox mattifier!

Large enough to carry all my essentials, but still small enough to fit in my purse =] it's amazing, I tell you!

I really recommend these types of travel cases if you're always on the go...I also have a larger one that I purchased at Target for my toiletries, but it was almost $20!

No comments:

Post a Comment