Sunday, February 27, 2011

Chicago Restaurant Week 2011: Cafe Ba Ba Reeba & David Burke's Primehouse

Chicago Restaurant Week is the perfect time to try out some new places to eat around the city  Each restaurant has three-course prix fixe menus for both lunch and dinner priced at $22 and $33, respectively.

Unfortunately I'm not currently living in the city, so I was only able to partake in the Restaurant Week menus at two Chicago restaurants: Cafe Ba Ba Reeba, a tapas bar, and David Burke's Primehouse at the James Hotel.

Cafe Ba Ba Reeba

I've only eaten at two tapas restaurants in the city - Cafe Iberico and People Lounge - so I was definitely looking forward to trying out Cafe Ba Ba Reeba.  I had heard good things about this restaurant, and I'm happy to say that I was not disappointed.

My brother and I arrived almost half an hour late for our reservation, but we were still promptly seated on a busy Wednesday night.  The waiters were very friendly and attentive, and the food was delicious!  The servings were quite generous, so my brother and I had a good amount of leftovers for my parents.

Between the two of us, we ordered two pintxos, four tapas dishes, two paellas, and two desserts!  We were stuffed.





beef skewer, horseradish cream & red onions
pincho de solomillo


fried calamari & tomato crudo, jalapeno alioli
calamares fritos con tomate crudo y jalapeno


beef tenderloin & blue cheese
solomillo con cabrales


chicken, artichoke & spinach
pollo, alcachofas y espinacas
mango
mango sorbet
&
banana
caramelized banana, vanilla ice cream

David Burke's Primehouse

Pineapple Upside Down Cake
served with rum caramel & sour cherry sorbet
Lucky for me, Chicago Restaurant Week falls on the same week as my boyfriend's birthday!  Last year I took him to Texas de Brazil (his first time), and this year we ate at David Burke's Primehouse at the James Hotel.

My boyfriend and I both LOVE steak, so we're always eating at various steakhouses to find our favorite.  I chose David Burke's Primehouse based on recommendations from a few friends.

We arrived on time for our 7:30pm reservation and we were seated right away.  It was a Friday night so the restaurant was very busy and full of businessmen and couples dining.  Although our waiter was difficult to track down at times, the service was fairly good and they surprised my boyfriend with a free birthday dessert.  My boyfriend loved the Classic Filet Mignon, so I was very happy =]

Lobster Bisque: green apple essence, lobster spring roll 
Classic Filet Mignon served family style with sauteed mushrooms and basil whipped potatoes 
Chai Creme Brulee with candied ginger biscotti (I killed this dessert)

Tanzanie Brownie: kahlua ice cream, banana mousse
If you missed Chicago Restaurant Week, make sure you check it out next year!  Some restaurants offer their Restaurant Week menus for an extended period or year-round, so it may still be possible to get in on the savings =]

No comments:

Post a Comment