Monday, March 7, 2011

Drugstore Makeup Brushes: EcoTools

Let's face it: I'm a post-undergrad student that owes a fortune in loans, so the last thing I should be spending my money on are expensive makeup brushes.  I would LOVE to own some makeup brushes by MAC someday, but I just don't have the heart to throw down that much money for a single brush...I could use that money to pay some of my bills!

My used and abused eyeliner brush,
blackened by years of MAC Fluidline
My search for inexpensive makeup brushes began my sophomore year of undergrad.  With the advice of one of my roomies/best friends, I went to Target and picked up a set of EcoTools makeup brushes.  I was impressed with the quality of the brushes; none of them shed or smelled funny.  But after some time, the packaging lost its appeal (the brush roll became dirty very easily) and I was no longer interested in most of the brushes.  I still use the eyeliner brush because it works very well with my MAC Blacktrack Fluidline, but the rest of the brushes are stored away with my unused beauty tools.

Fast forward two years...

I don't like using the little sponges and puffs that come in makeup compacts, so I was searching for a sleek, compact, INEXPENSIVE, and good-quality kabuki brush that I could tote around everywhere.  It was definitely love at first sight with the EcoTools Recycled Retractable Kabuki Brush ($7-10).

Like all EcoTools brushes, this brush is made from recycled and sustainable materials.  The retractable case is made from recycled aluminum and it looks great pulling out of your purse.  Not only does it look expensive, it FEELS expensive.

"You fancy, huh?"
A little beat up by my purse, but it's still a beaut!

The bristles of the brush are super soft and tightly packed to provide you with the best even coverage.  I use it for finishing my makeup in the morning and touching up my makeup during the day (I really need to buy one for my purse and one to keep at home).  I would definitely freak out and quickly buy another one if I ever lost it.  The brush washes wonderfully with no shedding, and it doesn't lose its shape either...I feel like it'll last forever!  I try to wash it as much as possible because it's definitely my most used brush.  I'd take this kabuki brush over any other expensive brand any day.

The next EcoTools brush in my beauty arsenal is the EcoTools Bamboo Bronzer Brush ($10).  All other drugstore blush brushes I've used in the past failed to impress me, so I was on the hunt for a great blush/bronzer brush.  I was originally planning to only purchase this brush after I read a stellar review for it, but I purchased the bronzer brush and the kabuki brush together because Ulta had a BOGO 1/2 OFF sale.  The review was true to its word, because this brush is amazing...special thanks to Karen at Makeup and Beauty Blog!

Like the kabuki brush, the bristles are super soft and densely packed for maximum color pay-off.  I use this brush for my blushes, highlighters, and bronzers, and it evenly distributes the product with no blotchiness.  I don't find it great for contouring, so I usually just use it for all-over color.

EcoTools can be found at Ulta, Target, and many other drugstores, so pick up these brushes and save the world at the same time =]

No comments:

Post a Comment